Sunday, January 13, 2008

Race report, new PR!

Last thursday I had the first race of this season. The 10k Powerade run. The day before I ran 7.5km most of it on the same paths as the race is. It was not at all icy at that time so I was looking forward for the race. Coming there I saw that most of the 190 runners were in groups, many of which profesional teams. I just showed up 20 minutes before the race, not knowing anyone and not with a clear plan. My goal of finishing under 50 minutes for the first time was a bit shaken as it was very icy and dark.
At the start the race director gave us an overview of which parts had the most ice and snow, big thanks for that, but then the gun went off. I started moving but even in a small race like this you can't really move faster or slower than the group for the first few hundred meters. I cranked up my Ipod and went of the path into the grass (snow) and started running past people. I got clear of 20-30 people and went onto the path but got no footing there due to the ice so I went back to the grass. Although more snowy and more uneven it gave me much better grip and with ease I jogged past number of people scating on the paved path.

Around a kilometer before the first big climb I saw that the group had split in two parts and I was laeding the second part, I decided to catch up with the front group before the hill so with Eminem (I am not a fan of him, or rap in general, but the 8mile song is a great running song) in my head I almost sprinted to catch up, that speed served me well as I, surprisingly didn't feel the need to slow down when I caught up with the group. I overtook 5 people on the hill and when I got up I felt the spinning classes pay off to my muscular endurance because I didn't feel my usual need to slow down and regroup after a big climb, so the first kilometer after the climb I overtook around 10 people.
I was still feeling great but was wondering if I could keep up this pace. My heart rate monitor showing 175 beats per minute.
But I kept on going, great songs kept coming and I kept on looking at the next runner ad finding a landmark to catch him by.
Long story short (or a bit shorter) I ran the rest of the race at this speed. Overtook around 100 people, had noone overtaking me. Never slowed down, never felt bad and as I turned the last corner and saw the finish line, I saw the time 46:05 and ticking.
I finished in 46:18 at a sprint, a new PR and made me confident I can break the 40 minute barrier at the end of the season.
All in all a great race. Great organization. Cool finishline with tapes, lines and a big race clock... Outstanding!

No comments: