Thursday, January 3, 2008

2008

With my current long term goal of finishing an Ironman being scheduled in 2009 I had a bit of a struggle of how I should build up my 2008 race schedual. First of all it had to be steps on my Ironman journey but at the same time exciting enough in it's own right as to keep me motivated in trainings and racing through the year.
Now, the exact days for the 2008 race season aren't available for most races yet, but this list is based on last years dates.
I have a lot of races but most of them short and will be thought of as speed practice. Also my work has a very iregular hours so I will most definetly miss some of the races that I have on the list. For that reason I have 21 race there. But my goal is to race 16 times ontill the end of August 2008.



January-10th Priority-C 10k run, Powerade serie-

The Powerade serie is a 6 race serie that is already half way through. It is run the second thursday every month, no matter the weather or ice. It is right in my area and is actually my training route.



February 6th- Priority-C 400/10/2.5, Indoor triathlon-

The Reykjavík Triathlon club has a indoor triathlon where we use the inddor pool, spinning bikes and a treadmill, nice way to condition the body for the changes between disciplines.



February 14th Priority-C 10k run, Powerade serie-

Same as above.



March 13th- Priority-C 10k run, Powerade serie-

Last Powerade run of the winter.



March 17th- Priority-B 21k run, March Marathon FM

The Icelandic Marathon club has a a spring run, half or full marathon, I will run half this time. The goal is to improve my time by 12 minutes getting it down to 1:40.



April 19th- Priroty-C 5k run, ÍR open race

The athletic club, ÍR has a yearly race, and although only 5k on streets it attracts a lot of people, will be good practice to plan a crowded race, follow my tactic despide all the people going past me, and overtaking people with least wasted energy possible.



April 22nd- Priority-C 4/15/4, Duathlon, Heiðmörk

Short duathlon organized by Reykjavík Triathlon Club, will be good to practice transition and see how the indoor spinning is turning into outdoor speed.



May 1st- Priroty-C 10k, 1. of May run Fjölnis

Typical group race, but in 6 days I will have 3 races, so the challange is pushing my self in all and yet have power for the next.



May 3rd- Priority-C 7k, The Icelandair run

Run around the Reykjavik airport, nice and short, but only two days after a 10k and three days before a short triathlon.



May 6th- Priority-C 400/10/2.5, Sprint triathlon

Organized by the Reykjavik Triathlon club, short tri in the capital area, a bit hilly but a good practice after the last two races.



May 16th- Priority-C 40k, TT (streetbikes)

Time trial on my bike, it's a flat area so the time will be a good indicator where I stand in the bike portion.



May 31st- Priority-A 42k, The Mývatns Marathon

That will be my debut marathon, my first take on the endurance event so many people talk about, yet so few people undertake. The run is around a lake in the north of Iceland, stunning nature and perfect athmosphere for my first of many. The goal is to finish under 4 hours.



June 10th- Priority-C 40k, Blue Lagoon bike race

Biking from Hafnarfjordur to the Blue lagoon, it's a windy road, with hills, twists and twirls. Will take it easy though, mostly loosing my self up after the marathon and before a priority-B race less than a week later.



June 16th- Priority-B 23/36/17/26, totals 62k bike/40k run, Mountain XTERRA duathlon

It's a four legged mountain race, going over mountains and valleys. I will participate in the first three but skip the fourth unless feeling very good and doing reasonably well.



June 23rd- Priority C 7km, Esja run (mountain)

Little XTERRA run, going up the "home" mountain of the capital area, very popular walking path, gets quite steep near the top, good practice for the legs.



July 1st- Priority C 1.5/40/10, Seltjarnarnes Triathlon

Will be my first full length triathlon (olympic), but is only a C priority since I have a A priority race two weeks later. Will be good to get a feel for how the distance is, and how I will cope with it. Will show me my weakness so I can work on them before London.



July 14th- Priority A 55k, Laugarvegurinn (XTERRA)

Wading rivers, climbing mountains, going through mud and geothermal areas, even part of glaciers... sounds like fun... those who have made it compare it with finishing two marathons... so lets do it!

July 21st- Priority C 24k, Vesturgatan

Not sure I will go there, it's in another part of the country, but where I grew up so I would like to go. The run takes you along a single lane road that goes into fjord of total isolation, amazing nature, no electricity, no cars, no nothing... wonderfull... but only a week after Laugarvegurinn... might be tight.



August 8-9th- Priority A 1.5/40/10, The London Triathlon

Here comes the big one, my main event of the year... Will give it all I have, hoping to finish under 2:40



August 18th- Priority B 21k, Reykjavik Marathon

The biggest running event in Iceland, would be a priority A if not for the fact I just finished the London Triathlon, that's also the reason I will only take half a marathon. Will be aiming to improve my time from last year.



August 26th- Priority B 1.9/90/21, Half Ironman Iceland

Just to see if I can cope with the distance, specially in such a tough racing month... If I finish this, I will definetly finish Ironman next year.


So this is how the year should look like... but as I said, most dates are from last year so they will probably all move by 2 days or so as they normally are planned around a certain weekday (normally saturdays). Also I will probably miss around 5-7 races due to work and might add 2-3 races if I feel like racing a weekend I have nothing planned...











2 comments:

ironturtle said...

Hi Thomas.
I'd love to compete in Icelandic HIM but I find it difficult to find information. Could you help me? i speak French and Eglish. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised by so many events in Iceland. And what have surprised me the most? Indoor triathlon - well that's great idea...
regards, sebastian, poland
www.ghetto-freeriders.blog.pl