Wednesday, January 2, 2008

2007 review

It is easy to review the year 2007 since I just started running this year, I had one goal, one race, and one success.
I decided in July to run a half-marathon in the Reykjavik Marathon. I had 6-weeks to prepare and as I had never, at that time, ran further than 12km in one session I was both excited and nervous.
I set my self a goal of finishing under two hours which seemed to put me in the middle of the group, and I started to run. Then a very unexpected thing happened, life. Out of the blue life started interfering with my training and when I stood on the race line (after a 12 hour night shift, without any sleep) I had still not ran further than 12km, and that distance only 6-7 times.
The race started of well, I had a steady tempo. overtaking surprisingly large number of people. I stepped up the tempo after 8km and overtook even more people, I was getting to the front 100 runners )apart from the pro's when the 16km mark came. Then it hit me. My legs became 30 kilos each and cramps appeared in my calf. Those last 5km were horrible, but I kept on running, albeit very slowly and didn't walk a step. I had around 1-2 hundred people passing me those last kilometers but as I turned the final street and saw the finish line and the race clock I was pleasantly surprised. I finished in 1:52:17 without proper training, race plan, nutrition plan, heart rate or split time watch. Just me and my legs. That showed me everything was possible. I stepped up my training considerably and started setting new, ambitious goals. As the new year creaks in I have never been as excited and I have 21 races planned (most C-priority obviously) but I will will go into those in my next post.

All in all, 2007 ignited a habit that is turning into an addiction. The running virus is taking over my body and I am more than happy to welcome it.
My first race result was a pleasant one but I am sure when I review 2008 it will be but a small dot compared to coming results.

No comments: