Saturday, January 5, 2008

Humbling experience

Yesterday I found out I was being moved to night shifts over the weekend and that I would miss the football with my friends so I decided to join a spinning class at my gym.
As I walked in I saw my fellow spinners were middle aged men and 3 womans, two of which older than my mom.
I thought to my self that this would be a nice speed training and wondered if I should run after the class. Reality turned out quite differently. The instructor told us to start warming up and everybody went cranking. I was barely keeping up with their speed in the warm up and when the song ended I felt as if I had finished Tour De France. But no....
Now the instructor told us to turn up the gears. As a proud male I did, didn't want to be seen as less of a man. Watched how hard the guys next to me put their bikes and did the same to mine. The song started and we started spinning, this time she started really slow, I mean really, really slow, I had a hard time going that slow. Ahhh... I thought to my self, now it shows who has been running and has the stamina. But how wrong was I going to be. After around a minute in the slow tempo the song picked up the tempo and so did we. Then the instructor told us to stand and everybody stood on their bikes and started racing speed. I stood up made the first, second and third cycle but then my thights just screamed and protested. I had to sit down and watched those heroes standing through all her sprints. But it was becoming even more gruelsome. Now it wasn´t enough just standing up on the bike, she wanted us to go down while standing and ouch! that is just pure hell!
After the 35 minutes I was just wasted, we walked into the aerobic room and I thought that we would just do stretches but what awaited me was 1 hour of pushups, back excercises, weightlifting.
Today as I woke up I thought to my self that I would run 10k's before work, but no... the reason for this long post is that I really can't stand up, my calfs are just burning and so stiff that you could break rocks with them.
All in all a very humbling experience, but at the same time a very fun, one, I will definetly go back (as soon as I can walk)

2 comments:

kxux said...

I felt the same after the first Pilates session. Now after being through a few it is not as bad, but still it is definitely something different than the usual swim, bike, run :-).

Tomas said...

Amazing how quick the body adapts though. Only two sessions and I performed much, much better. And what's more didn't die afterwards :)
Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your Nike challange!