Monday, March 24, 2008

Tapering..... sucks

So now the famous tapering period has begun (began earlier, but my first blog since then).
Tapering sounds so easy... take it easy, rest your body for the race... couple of short runs to keep you smooth and on the edge... As I read all the books on triathlon and running I could I always chuckled when I got to the tapering part and it stressed how important it was and how most athletes screwed this part up.

I thought to my self that I would have no trouble with resting... I mean... resting is nice, right?
And as it is so important, why on earth would some one not do it?
Then came Good Friday.... the sun was shining brightly, the sky was completely clear and uncharacteristically there was no wind.

I was working a bit in the morning but at 2pm I was home... looking outside of the window, arguing with my self if I should run or not... I soon came to the conclusion that arguing to my self in the window was a clear sign of madness and the only cure was to go out and run. So, that problem solved.

I decided to go and run around a lake that is just outside my neighborhood, there is a 11-12km trail around it, couple of small hills, smooth horse trail but most importantly breathtaking views. I hadn't ran there since last fall as you really can't run there in the winter with the trail buried in snow and ice. I ran out with a pretty up beat play list on my ipod. But as I got to the trail I was welcomed with wet mud! Yes, the snow and ice was mostly gone, but obviously it had melted and large pools of water blocked the trail everywhere and the rest of the trail was one big mud track.

At first this really broke my serene other worldly mood and I tried my best not running in the mud, not getting wet, which meant running off the trail, which was really rough and after almost twisting my ankle several times I finally gave up and started running in the mud. And Behold, nothing happened, and I actually found out that I really enjoyed it. Yes, my white shoes were not so white anymore, yes, my gay looking running pants got all dirty (interpret as you will) and yes my feet got wet... but ohh... what a blizz...

The other thing that annoyed me at first was that I wasn't the only one that had the idea of enjoying the good weather outside (imagine that!). The trail was packed with horses (imagine that, on a horse trail!). At first it really bothered me to have to break my automatic rhythm and go off the trail. But like the mud I soon decided to enjoy it instead and started exchanging smiles and greetings with the horse people (and couple of the horses as well). Anyway I am going to pass them, better make it fun, also, this people is doing what I love, being outside in nature, so I really should appreciate that and like them.

I finished in less than an hour and was pleasantly surprised, as that was my best time last fall, and then I was beat afterwards. Now I really felt good, my legs felt fresh, I had no pain or aches. And I knew i could do this over at the spot. Wonderful! The hard work is paying off... So although this broke my tapering plan, my legs felt fresher after the run than before it (does that make sense?) and with a week to go I am sure I will have recovered... now the plan is 2-3 short 4km runs on race pace (which is slow as this will be my first marathon) selecting my play list... creating a 4 hour play list is quite a task... any suggestions?

So tapering is proving to be more difficult than I thought, I really want to go out and blast the trails or the city.... but I must wait... I must be patient and I must finish this saturday...
all the best.

7 comments:

rundangerously said...

tomas,

thanks for visiting my blog. good luck w/your upcoming first marathon! i'm looking forward to reading your report about it. which one is it, by the way?

did you happen to notice the fischer - spassky photo on my site? iceland, 1972!

regards,
frank

peter said...

That sounds like a wonderful run, perfect to launch you onto your first M. Before M's I like to run a fast-paced 10 miler six to seven days out then a few fast 1-2 milers and a marathon race pace 5K (say, 8:40s) in the days leading up to the event. For many conundrums in running, there is no answer, just what works for you. After Saturday, you'll know if it was good or bad. I'm thinking it was just right for you. Good luck!

Tomas said...

Hey Frank,

I didn't notice the picture! But yes, Fisher spent his last years here in Iceland... very much loved and respected here as is chess.

This is a small marathon, organized by the marathon club of Iceland. Kind of a start to the season...

I find your blog very interesting, you are obviously, much, much further down the runners road than I am, recommend it to all you guys reading my blog!

rundangerously said...

tomas,

in the it's a small world catagory, the reason i have the bobby fischer photo on my site is b/c he is originally from brooklyn, ny - my hometown. when he planned the championship match w/spassky in 1972, brooklyn went wild supporting the "local" boy makes good!!

hope you (and your friends) stop by my blog often - your always welcome.

is running this marathon for you part of the ironman training? doing a tri is a goal of mine. but have to significantly improve my swimming skills before i can seriously sign up for one!

frank

Tomas said...

Hey Frank,

Yeah, it's a shame how politics ruined Fishers reputation in the states, happy that you guys supported him!

Yeah... I decided to do an olympic triathlon this year and Iron man next year, so marathons kind of became a necessity.

Ohh... believe me, that's the weakest leg for 95% of triathletes... I joined a masters swim club and slowly we are getting there... very slowly though!

Unknown said...

Sæll Tómas,
Langar að benda þér á Hlaupadagbókina. Sjá link á hlaup.is (í menú Hlaup). Gangi þér vel í Marsþoninu - þitt fyrsta maraþon ?

Tomas said...

Sæll Stefán,

Jú ég var búin að sjá hlaupadagbókina... fer örugglega að skrá mig inn, er búinn að vera að nota endurancelog, mjög gott og þægilegt, en fyrst allir eru að fara í hlaupadagbókina fylgir maður eflaust. Frábært framtak!

Já, þetta verður fyrsta heila maraþonið :)