Sunday, March 16, 2008

Race Report

Last Thursday I had my second Powerade 10km race this winter. Also the last race in the Powerade winter series.
In the January race everything went perfectly (see older post) and I improved my PB by 9 minutes. That in bad condition, dark, icy, snowy and the track has two big hills.

I wasn't really sure what to expect as the conditions were much better this time, no snow, minimal ice, and we started running in the dusk so we had light for the first 5km or so.
But as Lance Armstrong says, it's not about the bike... so I knew I had to nail it again if I were to improve my time. Especially since that time was a whopping 9 minutes improvement.

I finished work rather late, only half an hour before the race start, so I drove home quickly, jumped it, changed clothes, got my gear (Ipod, gloves, keys, race fee etc.) and had a sip of my High5 drink before I jumped out and ran to the race start (I live 1km away).

The stress proved to be a good warm up, my pulse was moderately high, sweat starting to form (in the -4°C frost) and I was ready to go. Conditions couldn't had been better, beautiful sunset, snow on the sides but a clear path. Almost no wind so you really didn't feel the cold. Beautiful.

I rather lost my self in the beginning running with the front group. I just felt so incredibly good that I didn't realize I was running way to fast for my pace. I am also very competitive so every time someone runs past me I make it my goal getting past them again. Normally a good trait as it keeps me running faster and faster through the race, turning in negative splits well beyond my normal ability. This time it was not so good, as the runners passing me were runners finishing the race in 35 minutes or so.

I did run in that front group for the first 4km, through the first big hill, then down again but on the flat after 4km they really went flying, no more warm up for them. Then it hit me like a wall. I got stitches in both the sides and breathing became very labored (which is normally not the case for me, my limiter is my legs, not my lungs or heart).

The next 3km were hell, 5 more runners ran past me and I didn't feel good at all, not even running down the valley looking at the beautiful waterfall that normally lifts my spirit at that stage of this route. Also the music somehow didn't fire me up and that got me annoyed.

Still I knew I was under the time that I ran when I set my PB in January so I tried to keep going and started gaining on the next runner. The last 3km I really gave it all I had, which at this stage was more or less running at the pace I normally do, but it was really hard in the physical and mental state I was right there.

As I approached the finish line it was like all those physical and mental nags just vanished and a feeling of great joy came over me, so through the finish line I ran with a huge grin, which wasn't really representing the whole run, but it was good to feel this way and also to be able to show it to others, especially the race organizers that did a fantastic job as usual.

The time really surprised me 44:02, breaking the 45 minutes barrier, which in December I wrote down to break by the end of this season... one goal down!!

The good things: I set a new PB, I achieved one of my seasons goal long ahead of schedule, I gave all the volunteers and the organizers a big smile and thanks. My legs felt good the next day.

The learning things: I went out way to fast (learning: go slower in the start), I had a bad play list (learning: prepare better, finish work earlier on race days), I felt horribly during the middle part (links to going to fast in the beginning, but also shows I must focus on mental training, getting my self out of these states).

So, I had a lot of positives and also a lot I learned... good race, good PB (hope it won't stick for long).

Next race is my first marathon in 13 days... That's the baptism... that's what it is all about...

2 comments:

Ali said...

Happy Easter man...!! :)

with smile,
ali

Tomas said...

Thanks man...
Enjoy the Bulgarian butterflies :)