Thursday, March 13, 2008

16 days.....

16 days until my first marathon... getting excited... I am certain that I have the stamina for it... my concern is mainly about whether my legs can handle it. Running for three hours this monday my hips became very stiff and weird... I had some ankle soreness and my old knee injury flared up for a while...

On the plus side my muscles managed very well, no cramps or strings and the day after was fine although my legs felt a bit heavy.
Probably no reasons for concern, just don´t want to DNF, I am way to stubborn and competitive for that...

Tonight I have a 10k race. Will be interesting to see of I can beat my 2 months old PB of 46:18 That race really went fantastic and I want to see if my greatly improved time was due to a great day (a fluke) or due to a greatly improved fitness and running form... tonight we will see... at least I want to finish under 50 minutes.

2 comments:

peter said...

Congrats on getting elected to that post. I like the way you fit your training in--running to soccer, playing for an hour (no power, yeah, I'll bet!), then running back. That's a terrific workout in my book. I'm a little confused on what marathon you're running in 16 days, is that the one around that lake up north on the schedule you posted awhile ago? I have thought of making the Iceland Marathon my first international marathon some year, I think it's in July. My brother was posted in Iceland when he was a Marine, and I have always been interested in traveling to there. Good luck with your marathon, and good going on that 10K!

Tomas said...

Hey Peter,
The marathon in 16 days (now 15) was a surprise addition. The marathon around the lake is still scheduled in the end of may (31st).
I just thought that it would be more challenging doing a marathon sooner than later, no fun being totally prepared :)
The largest marathon in Iceland is the Reykjavik Marathon... this year it will be held at 23rd of august.
Information in english can be found at http://www.marathon.is/pages/english4/?iw_language=en