Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Back from dead

I'm back, maybe not quite back from dead, but at least back from the most annoying knee injury!
A lot has changed since my last post (one year old, or more). I have moved, not only between neighbourhoods but from my beautiful Iceland over to the land down under. Now I live in Perth, Australia.

I started playing squash again, playing in a pennant league and an inhouse weekly competition. In addition I have hired a personal trainer that has been working on my legs, stretching out my IT bands and trying to work out what has been meesing up my knees so badly without any apparent medical reason.

So far so good. I am not anywhere close to the physical shape I was in after I ran the marathon or the triathlons but I guess I have to start from somewhere.

Trying to keep a 4-5 trainings a week and that seems to leave my knees fresh, it is far away from the 12 trainings a week but at least it is training.

I have been doing some long bikerides on a gym bike, going to 60km but normally taking the olympic 40km distance. It is very different riding a gym bike but getting those muscles working again is the first priority. Next step is to buy a triathlon bike, they are just redicilusly expensive here and after the credit crunch (as you might know Iceland got hit really bad) I have decided not to buy anything on credit, not cars and definetly not bikes.

Not really running too much, started running 4-5 times a week after I moved (in end of Feb) but the knees didnt really feel good although the pain wasnt there which is good. I decided to build up strength and focus on biking for a while, anyway that was my weekest part of the triathlon and looking at the time you spend on the bike in an Ironman it makes sense to focus on the bikeleg for a while.

If there is anyone who knows good trails to run at around Perth, please let me know!

Anyways, good to be back! cant wait to start posting training logs and times.

Tomas the Icelandic Aussie

4 comments:

rundangerously said...

welcome back, tomas!!

frank

Tomas said...

Thanks Frank!

rundangerously said...

hey tomas, are you on facebook?

peter said...

Good to have you back, Tomas. Or should I say, G'day, bloke!